Carpets can make your home look great and it would be a great addition to any room in the house. The only problem is that it is not easy to keep them clean and that is complicated by the fact that they tend to be a magnet for all kinds of dirt and debris. Another carpet headache that you might encounter is when it gets stained. Getting a carpet stain out can turn out to be an impossible thing to achieve for some people.
Carpet cleaning shouldn’t be so difficult if you just know all of the right steps on how to do it. Before you go out and hire professional carpet cleaners, here are some tips that you ought to try on your own first:
Baking Soda Stain Remover- When it comes to removing carpet stains, nothing can beat baking soda in its effectiveness. It can act on the substance that can the stain and remove it without greatly affecting the colour of the carpet and damaging the fibre. It can be so effective that it is even better than the commercial carpet cleaners that are available on the market.
Vacuuming- While carpets need only to be cleaned every few months and sometimes only once a year, it would require frequent vacuuming in order to make sure that it is going to last for a long time. You should vacuum your carpet once every week in order to make sure that it does not get too dirty and that you remove most of the dust that get to accumulate on its surface.
Where to Concentrate- When vacuuming a carpet, you have to pay special attention to the areas that receive a great deal of foot traffic. Those are the areas that would have the most dirt coming from the shoes and feet of the people walking on it.
Soil Retardants- There are some soil retardant products that you can apply on your carpet. It would be especially effective when you use it on newly cleaned carpets. Just be sure that you follow the instructions of the manufacturer when you start using a product like that.
These are just some of the carpet cleaning tips that you can follow when you are doing your own carpet cleaning. But when you do not have the time to do things on your own, then it would be best just to hire someone who can take care of things for you.
When things break down in our homes, it would be best if we let professionals take care of those. They would know how to repair and replace anything that became defective. There are times however when we simply could not wait until we can call a professional to come over and work on the problem. There are some problems that need to be remedied right away.
When a light switch become defective for example, it can be a great inconvenience and we would want that to be taken care of right away. We might not have the time or the patience to wait for an electrician to come over and start working.
If you would like to try and fix a faulty switch, here are some simple steps that you can follow:
- The most important thing whenever you are doing home maintenance work is safety and this even more true when you are dealing with electricity. You should cut off the power first by turning off the switch on the circuit box.
- Remove the plate that covers the switch and using a circuit tester make sure that there is no current that is reaching the switch. Again you safety is more important than anything else.
- Now you can start checking what is wrong with your switch.
- The most common issue with switches that might prevent them from working are loose connections. Look for the wires that are hooked up to it. If you see anything that is hanging freely that means it is the one causing the problem. You can just reconnect the wire end make sure it is connected securely.
- Damaged wire ends can also cause a great deal of problem. They might still be connected to the switch but they are not delivering the needed current. Cut off the damaged end and then splice the wire again. Make sure that the connection is secure.
- If the conductor of a wire is touching the case of the box then it would cause short circuit which could blow a fuse or trip the circuit breaker. You should make sure that no conductor will come in contact with the metal case.
- Sometimes the switch itself could be damaged and cracked. This can especially happen if the switch is really old.
These are just some of the tips that you can follow if you would like to try repairing your defective light switch.
While a leaking tap is not reason for an intense emergency it is still something that you need to fix right away. That’s because it can cause a great deal of water to be wasted and besides it can be quite annoying. If you feel that changing a faulty tap should not merit having to call in a plumber then here are some tips on how you can do it on your own:
- The first thing that you have to do when you are doing any kind of plumbing repair is to turn off the main. There is no standard area where this is located sometime it is outside near the meter, but there are instances when it can be found inside a house. You need to turn it off in order to make sure that you would not have an accidental flooding.
- Open the tap that would have to replaced or repaired in order to drain the remaining water inside the pipes.
- Using a wrench you should disconnect the nuts that hook up the tap to the water pipe.
- The next thing to do is to find the nut under the sink which is used for keeping the tap in its place. You should also use the adjustable wrench in prying it loose.
- You should now be able to remove the tap from the sink.
- You can then place the new tap into the sink. You should connect it using the back nut under the sink and make sure that it is securely in place.
- Make sure that you use plumber’s tape for all the connections. You can tighten the connection by hand first and then use the adjustable wrench when you cannot go any further.
- Check the connections and make sure that everything is in place.
- You can then turn the main back on and then test the new tap. If there is any leaking then it might mean that you didn’t tighten it enough or you did not use enough plumber’s tape.
For anything more complicated than that, you would have to call in a plumber. Replacing a tap is just one of those very simple tasks that you can do on your own so you should worry about it that much. You can take care of it on your own without any real difficulty.
It is not enough that you should know how to start a garden; it is also vital that you should know how you can tidy it and keep it clean. Here are some of the best tips that you can follow in order to do that:
- If you have a patio in your garden then you should take extra care to make it looks its best. Sweep it and remove any of the leaves that could be found there. If there are weeds growing between the slabs used as pavers, then you should see to it that those are removed. If you have the time then you should scrub the pavers using a water and soap solution, to make it look like it is well-maintained.
- If any of your plants die out, then you should replace them right away. Choose plants that can add colour and variety to your garden. That would make it look more interesting and more visually engaging. You can also choose to add plants that have a great scent.
- Trim down any plant that is growing a little too much. Vines might get out of hand so you should be on the lookout for them especially. There are also some bushes that might grow a little too much. You need to trim down the dead leaves and branches of these plants to make sure that your garden would not take on an untidy and unkempt look.
- Weeds are a constant source of headache for those who are into gardening. You could pull them all that you want but they would still end up appearing in your garden over and over again. The best way to deal with weeds is through prevention. You can do that by mulching which can be done by adding a thick layer of bark chips on the places where there are no plants in your garden.
- Cut the lawn, but don’t cut it too low. Setting your mower a little too low would cause more damage than good.
- Rake off any of the leaves and any debris that might fall on your garden. You can give your garden a great looking appearance and make sure that it is well-maintained.
These are just some of the things that you can do in order to ensure that your garden is going to stay tidy and orderly. These steps are all simple to do and would not require the skills of an expert. You can get more home improvement ideas on Oneflare.