When things break down in our homes, it would be best if we let professionals take care of those. They would know how to repair and replace anything that became defective. There are times however when we simply could not wait until we can call a professional to come over and work on the problem. There are some problems that need to be remedied right away.
When a light switch become defective for example, it can be a great inconvenience and we would want that to be taken care of right away. We might not have the time or the patience to wait for an electrician to come over and start working.
If you would like to try and fix a faulty switch, here are some simple steps that you can follow:
- The most important thing whenever you are doing home maintenance work is safety and this even more true when you are dealing with electricity. You should cut off the power first by turning off the switch on the circuit box.
- Remove the plate that covers the switch and using a circuit tester make sure that there is no current that is reaching the switch. Again you safety is more important than anything else.
- Now you can start checking what is wrong with your switch.
- The most common issue with switches that might prevent them from working are loose connections. Look for the wires that are hooked up to it. If you see anything that is hanging freely that means it is the one causing the problem. You can just reconnect the wire end make sure it is connected securely.
- Damaged wire ends can also cause a great deal of problem. They might still be connected to the switch but they are not delivering the needed current. Cut off the damaged end and then splice the wire again. Make sure that the connection is secure.
- If the conductor of a wire is touching the case of the box then it would cause short circuit which could blow a fuse or trip the circuit breaker. You should make sure that no conductor will come in contact with the metal case.
- Sometimes the switch itself could be damaged and cracked. This can especially happen if the switch is really old.
These are just some of the tips that you can follow if you would like to try repairing your defective light switch.