While a leaking tap is not reason for an intense emergency it is still something that you need to fix right away. That’s because it can cause a great deal of water to be wasted and besides it can be quite annoying. If you feel that changing a faulty tap should not merit having to call in a plumber then here are some tips on how you can do it on your own:
- The first thing that you have to do when you are doing any kind of plumbing repair is to turn off the main. There is no standard area where this is located sometime it is outside near the meter, but there are instances when it can be found inside a house. You need to turn it off in order to make sure that you would not have an accidental flooding.
- Open the tap that would have to replaced or repaired in order to drain the remaining water inside the pipes.
- Using a wrench you should disconnect the nuts that hook up the tap to the water pipe.
- The next thing to do is to find the nut under the sink which is used for keeping the tap in its place. You should also use the adjustable wrench in prying it loose.
- You should now be able to remove the tap from the sink.
- You can then place the new tap into the sink. You should connect it using the back nut under the sink and make sure that it is securely in place.
- Make sure that you use plumber’s tape for all the connections. You can tighten the connection by hand first and then use the adjustable wrench when you cannot go any further.
- Check the connections and make sure that everything is in place.
- You can then turn the main back on and then test the new tap. If there is any leaking then it might mean that you didn’t tighten it enough or you did not use enough plumber’s tape.
For anything more complicated than that, you would have to call in a plumber. Replacing a tap is just one of those very simple tasks that you can do on your own so you should worry about it that much. You can take care of it on your own without any real difficulty.